Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Christmas Knitting

The day before Christmas (oh, right, we call that Christmas Eve), I took a bunch of pictures of knitted gifts as I was wrapping, to show you how far I had gotten, but I did not quite finish a couple of things and blogging would have taken away from knitting time. So, having made, or failed to make my deadlines, here is the progress made.

The Garter Ribbed Socks



in Regia, one of the Crazy Color Colorways, on number 1 needles

Coronet



in Cascade Pastaza, knit is a color I have forgotten on my mom's pink, metal doublepointed number 7 needles from the 1970s. This hat was really amazing and quick. I got the cable done in bits over a week and basically did the hat part during the Christmas Revels and a bus ride down the Mass Pike. (I am home in New England! I love New England. I hate, however, the global warming. It snowed the week before I got here, but now there is rain.) I think, of all of the Christmas knitting, I am most pleased with this hat. I am happy with the socks, but I really love this hat and am thinking of making one for myself. I think that a large part of the satisfaction came in how very quickly I managed to get it made. The socks are with me forever, it seems, all those insty little stitches feel like they add up to almost nothing, so that by the time the sock arrives, I am a bit tired of the project. I recognize that this is exascerbated by the fact that I knit the equivalent of 2 pairs of socks by they time I had a workable garter rib set and that I put the lace anklet down to finish other projects, but still.

My First Colorwork (which, honestly, has been done since February)



Also Cascade Pastaza. I now don't remember the size of needles, but it is whatever the Pastaza calls for to knit to 4 stitches to the inch.


Eye of Newt and To Sleep, Perchance to Dream, all Blocked



Artful Yarn Shakespeare, on large (10? 13?) needles. I had never made much lace before--only the one scarf in feather and fan, which only needed the lightest blocking. These guys looked like crap until I had blocked them, utter crap. And L blocked them on Christmas Eve, so I was taking a risk. My mom and my aunt seemed to like them though.

One of my aunts was particularly impressed--she had seen them pre-blocked and said that she had tried really hard to be nice about them, admiring the nice colors and such, but she was surprised by how lovely they look blocked.

The Fuzzy Feet, felted, though as it turns out, not felted enough. This is, of course, way better than felted too much so I have kept them and they will be washed another 5000 times. (Aren't we all glad that I did not try this at home in drought land?)



By the time my aunt, uncle, and cousin left, I had finished 1 of my aunt's socks. Here it is in Opal sock yarn. Obviously, there will have to be another one.




In addition, I will be seeing the goddaughter next week, for the new year. Here is a seed stitch scarf for her. I know that it looks super short.. She is only 2.



When I gave the goddaughter her sweater (which I would link to, except that would be a pain), her brother asked me to knit something for him. "Maybe a tripy tarf?" he suggested. So here it is, a stripy scarf, still on the needles.



I am hoping that I get this done fairly soon--not necessarily before I see them, but before I leave their house in several days!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful work! You're inspiring me ... when I finished Charlotte's hat, I decided to do many more knit gifties next year. I should start now ... :)

Lazuli said...

Those are gorgeous! Congrats on finishing the socks and the hat, and everything else!

kris said...

Awesome work! I love the tripy candy-cane tarf!!

Greta_Jane said...

M, I started last February, though honestly, most of the knitting happened this fall.

L and K, thank you!