Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Score

So I had a long day, mostly at a conference, but followed by laps at the pool and then the butchering of a large hubbard squash. I was tired and decided that I was not going to make soup, but rather order a pizza. The pizza delivery guy turned out to be a student. This was excellent for any number of reasons.

1) I was wearing pajamas with holes in them.
2) I was not wearing, oh, a bra, but was wearing a shirt which probably made that utterly clear.
3) I did not recognize him. Now, granted, there are almost 125 students in the class and I might not have recognized him on campus, but it made me feel like the kind of person who does not look at the delivery guy.

Sigh.

5 comments:

Lazuli said...

Oh, dear. I almost don't know whether to laugh or cry! (It would be funny if it were, say, a scene in a fictional movie/book/tv show, but since it wasn't fictional, I think crying might be the better option!) I bet the student felt even weirder about it, though.

Anonymous said...

I hate seeing students when I'm out of the professional, academic setting.

This is especially bad when I'm mussed, frumpy and clutching 1) an enormous bar of chocolate and 2) a box of tampons. (Why oh why is the KMart so close to student housing??!!)

And I fee like I ought to have some kind of a name here - I mean other than my initials.

AND Congratulations and I owe you a phone call!

KosherAcademic said...

I think Lazuil is right - it was probably more awkward for him. (How humiliating, IMO, to be a pizza delivery boy.)

Tell us if you "see" him in class anytime soon.

But this is a reminder to us all to attempt to look "presentable". Not perfect, but presentable. (If I were to do this, I have a TON of clothes I need to get rid of!)

Greta_Jane said...

Yes, he was in class today.

ES, you could use your name--it is not unusual. Or, you could name yourself!

kris said...

Oy. That's just one of those classic moments that you don't think *really* happens in real life.