Monday, January 28, 2008

A Room Full of Crocheters

So I have a lot of things to blog about, but as those of you in my professional life know, I have been melting down about about my qualifying exams. (I told Lazuli and Knitting Angel that I do not want the letters PhD after my name. They were helpful. Knitting Angel assures me that I have enough time left.) Anyway, the melting down is making me feel very much like I cannot clear the hour that it would take me to sit down and write a decent blog entry. But I did want to share:

On Saturday, I had to go on a retreat for work (where work is school, but you know.) Basically, for about 3 hours, two people presented some work and facilitated a really good discussion and for another hour, we got updated on the state of our grant. Anyway, there were about 25 people there and as I sat in my chair knitting a sock, I looked around and saw 3 people crocheting. I was the only knitter and I was outflanked by the people for the little hooks. Afterwards, 2 of the 3 crocheters mentioned to me how much they hate knitting. The professor in charge of the concentration and I agreed that we are pro our own bits of needlework for the same reason--each of us learned out primary skill at the age of about 12. I did not try to learn to crochet until I was about 25. (Knitting Angel tried to teach me. She will probably agree that I sucked.) The director of the concentration learned to crochet young and knit later. We think we imprinted or something. It was an interesting conversation, but it was also neat to be in a professional environment where it was clearly sociall acceptable to be playing with yarn.

No comments: