Friday, December 08, 2006

Thursday 13: Knitting List

The following knitting based Thursday 13 are a list of things that I want to either finist or knit. I am sneakily turning my Thursday Thirteen into a “To Do” list. But I am also hoping that I will get friendly encouragement to finish things up.
1. A sweater for my goddaughter, Matilda.

Sadly, I made a mistake on the neck on one side, so I will need to frog a bit, but I think I will do that this evening. I will see Miss Matilda on December 20th and want the sweater done by then!



Here is a closer shot of the pattern on the yoke.



You will see some puckers int he body of the sweater. Matilda's sweater was my first "to frog or not to frog" debate. I make this wierd little mistake when knitting, and I am not sure what I am doing. Making eyelets, basically, but how or why, I can't say, since I don't loose stiches when I do so. But they create little imprefections. I have decided to leave them in place, but mostly because I don't want Matilda to outgrow the sweater before it is done. She can wear it this winter, but probably not again. In a sweater or project for an adult, I think I would frog.

2. A sweater for my sister. Every now and then Lazuli asks me about this sweater. It was my first sweater ever, and the start of a collection of UFOs. I think I started it in January of 2003. I definately bought the yarn at Noho Wools. It got put aside for various and sundry reasons, mostly that it got too big to knit on the T. Looking at it fot this post, though, I realized that it needs no more than about 2 hours of work, so I think I will also try to get it done by the time I see my sister (on Christmas Eve).



3. A cardigan for me, that has kind of lost its appeal, but would be nice.



4. An over a year late wedding present for my friend E and her wife W. It is made out of synthetic material of some sort because it needs to be uber-washable. L and W have 2 dogs and 2 cats. W also really likes bright colors, so this purple square will have many cheery companions before the afghan is done.



So the picture came out a touch blurry. Any thoughts as to why? Just shaky hands, or something I am doing wrong?

5. A hat for the very same E.



6. Matching twin hats for my college roommate, SS and for me. We will be twins if I ever knit them.



The blue yarn is actually for E's hat. I was trying to get something that would show the wonderful, purply beet color of the yarn. It didn't really work. This is not really the shade. It is actually dyed from beets though, so that gives you an idea. That one is fr me. For my college roommate, Philly SS, is this wonderful grey blue yarn.



It is from Plimoth Plantation, in Massachusetts, woven from sheep who are re-enactors of the early Plimoth sheep.

7. A sweater for me, that I am so excited about.



8. An afghan, also for me, modeled on one that my mom and dad got for their wedding, lo these many years ago. I think I may have even located the exact same pattern that Mrs. Rubin,, maker of the original afghan, used.



9. Socks. I love this sock yarn. I got it in Belfast, ME, around the corner from my friend JDM’s dad’s office. I do not know how to knit socks. I tried once. I failed. Lazuli showed me, and I felt like I could do it, but I am scared to try without her. And I am intimidated by knitting something that small in the round. I was hoping to take a magic loop class this January, but it starts before I am back in town. Sigh. Maybe there will be another one in February.



10. A bright red scarf for my friend TS. (Hmm. I have two friends TS, just like I have 2 friends SS. This is the girl one.) I am planning to use the pattern that Liquidgirl pointed me to. I want to learn lace and both Lazuli and (I think) Angel suggested the feather and fan pattern. Then Liquidgirl sent me a link to a pattern..and it was for feather and fan!



11. Then, there are some items that I covet and want to make for myself. This is exciting, because most of my knitting projects start when I fall in love with yarn. I am only now getting to the point where I think, hmm. My hands are cold. But I did think that and so I am consumed with envy for Angel’s new fingerless mits. I must make myself some!

Actually, since I wrote this, I talked Angel into making me a pair. I am going this evening to pick out yarn and I will send it to her, and she will knit them up. (Though I read on her blog that she has knitting malaise and sore wrists, so I don't want you stressing about this, Angel!)

12. NLH and I found a pattern for wonderful, stripy stockings, held up with a garter belt. Methinks I need those as well. But methinks that I will get them by learning to make socks and developing a stash of leftover sock yarn.

13. A thong for LAS!
As I said, I have found a pattern. I have established a favorite color (blue). I may need to go to get yarn for this today as well, but really, the wedding will be in the summer, and I have so many things here to blow through!

There are, in point of fact, some others in the present list, but I do not have yarn/items in mind as yet. So they are not listed here. But there you go, an inventory of what I want to get done.

Some of these are real knitting growing edges for me. There are heels to turn (eep!) and new, complicated cables to learn to do. (I am pretty good at simple cables, so I have the basic skills down. It is just a matter of getting, well, good at them.) There is lace to learn to knit. But I am excited about my list of projects.

3 comments:

Lazuli said...

Oooh, pretty pictures! Glad you figured out the camera and uploading business. Wow, what gorgeous yarn it all is. That's quite a list, but a lot of fun. If you know basic cables, then more complicated cables are really just the same thing, except you have to pay attention because you're not just doing the same cable over and over.

Greta_Jane said...

So, FYI, I am kind of planning to have pieces of Matilda's sweater all done so that I can ask you to show me how to sew it all up when I come by. But maybe I will have figured it out on my own...

Lazuli said...

I can try to show you how to seam things together, but really, it's been practically years since I've done it and I wasn't really all that good at it. I'd probably pull out some books and show them to you. This website has some useful videos, etc that might do as well as my books, in case your curious. I can still try to help, though!