So this is my basically first ever blog post. I have to admit to being a somewhat reluctant comer to the world of blogging. For years, I have wondered who the hell reads blogs anyway. But in January, I attended a writing retreat at Big Yellow and discovered why people blog. Much of the community formed at that retreat has continued on-line. And so, I found myself a reader of blogs, the blogs belonging to those fabulous women. I think I am something of a stealth reader—I am not sure I have commented once, but I circle through and check on everyone every couple of days.
Then, I found out that a friend from grad school has a knitting blog, and that there are communities of blogging academic knitters out there. How cool.
And other friends exist in other parts of the blogging world—people from college and grad school past (as opposed to grad school present.)
Then EM gave me a hand-me-down camera so that I could post pictures of things that I have knit.
So this blog is aimed at several different communities: blogspot and LJ for starts, but also friends from many different places (Big Yellow, Swarthmore, HDS, my sister, etc). Once I figure out whether I am a consistent blogger, I might even join that afore mentioned knitting academics blog. It was with them in mind that I chose the blog spot title: Ivory Needles, as in Ivory Towers and Knitting Needles. krizmic and EY seemed to think that was a good name, so we will see. GretaJane, for LJ and the blogspot username will be apparent to anyone who knows me and my beloved canine companion, Greta Jane.
So, hello out there, big world, or more specifically friends at a distance. I hope I am not boring!
2 comments:
Welcome to the world of blogs. since i just started in feb, i suspect you will fall in love with the whole idea, as i have. the creativity and connection is incredible.
now--i want to be sure you are who i think you are. anyone from the big yellow would be wonderful, but i think i am particularly happy you will be blogging--so give me another identity hint!
welcome. welcome. and thanks for the feedback on my blog. it's fuel for the soul.
kj
Woohoo! I'm so excited you've joined us. Can't wait to hear more and see pics of your knitting!
Post a Comment